Welcome to our travel blog. We are Tabitha and Nic. In 2011 we 'retired' in our early 40s and set off to travel the world. We spent our first year in South America and have been lucky enough to make two trips to Antarctica.

Our blog is a record of our travels, thoughts and experiences. It is not a guide book, but we do include some tips and information, so we hope that you may find it useful if you are planning to visit somewhere we have been. Or you may just find it interesting as a bit of armchair travel.



Saturday, August 13, 2011

and more art

Since my posting about our visit to the museum of fine arts we have been to two more - the museum of decorative arts and the MALBA, which is modern art.  Now if you read my earlier post  then you are probably wondering why I bothered, but I live in hope.  Sadly, in the main that optimism was misplaced. I'm not going to repeat the things I said in the other blog, but you should assume that they do still apply!

The decorative arts museum is a collection in a house commissioned by a wealthy and important couple in 1916, but after her death in 1935 the husband gave it to the state to turn into a museum.  The house is of french style and is very impressive.  I even quite liked some of the objects on display.  But I was disappointed when I saw Rodin's The Thinker, because I had - obviously quite ignorantly - assumed there was only one, and in fact there are a whole batch of them.

The MALBA is modern art, which is always a bit of a worry, and sure enough there were a batch of pictures that consisted of a single colour painted canvas, were of oddly distorted bodies, or just simply a blurred photo of a vase etc.  I have quite a few blurred photographs that I was going to delete, but I am now vaguely hopeful that they might be worth a fortune - I won't hold my breath though.  But there were a few good pieces and one that I would even choose to put in my house, though I doubt I could afford it.  It was a few bits of perspex rotating in a reflective, lit up, semi circular box, giving the impression that they are floating.   I liked it, and thought it was clever, but I'm still not sure I would call it art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like to hear from you too, so please leave us a message here. We are also happy to answer any questions if we can help. Comments are moderated so will not appear straight away and there could be some delay in replying if we are travelling.