Welcome to our travel blog. We are Tabitha and Nic. In 2011 we 'retired' in our early 40s and set off to travel the world. We spent our first year in South America and have been lucky enough to make two trips to Antarctica.

Our blog is a record of our travels, thoughts and experiences. It is not a guide book, but we do include some tips and information, so we hope that you may find it useful if you are planning to visit somewhere we have been. Or you may just find it interesting as a bit of armchair travel.



Saturday, October 15, 2011

So many early mornings!

I have never got up so early, so often, as since we started this trip.  Generally the latest that we set off is about 8:30am, and that means being up about 7:45, or earlier when we're camping and have to pack up sleeping stuff and take a tent down.

Even that wouldn't be so bad though if they were the early days, but they're not.  We frequently have to leave at times beginning with a six or seven, and sometimes, like leaving Huanchaca, it is on the truck at 5:30am.  It's just wrong!

When I was working, I always took advantage of our flexible hours to start later, but there were always times that an earlier start was necessary.  I could cope with the odd ones, but anything regular and I would be knackered for days.  So how am I coping now?  Well I still don't like it, but I think the ability to sleep on the truck probably helps.  On the early starts, I treat getting up and onto the truck as just an interruption to sleep, and once settled, drop back to sleep for a few hours.

But I guess it helps that we are actually getting to bed earlier too.  Before, I could never sleep before midnight if then, but we are actually getting used to sleeping a bit earlier. Probably because this mode of travelling with being almost constantly on the move, is fairly tiring itself even if it is just sat on a truck playing cards or something.

So those of you who know me, especially those who used to work with me, are probably astounded that I manage to make it to the truck on time.  But don't be fooled into thinking this makes me a changed person.  I am confident that given the slightest opportunity my natural night owl will reassert itself and the early mornings will again be a rare and inconvenient occurrence!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like to hear from you too, so please leave us a message here. We are also happy to answer any questions if we can help. Comments are moderated so will not appear straight away and there could be some delay in replying if we are travelling.